To me one of the most important instructions in Think and Grow Rich are the Six Steps:
- Fix in your min the exact amount of money you desire (or your goal or goals). It is not sufficient merely to say “I want plenty of money”. Be definite as to the amount (or specific as about the goal). There is a psychological reason for definiteness.
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money or the goal you desire. There is no such reality as “something for nothing” in life.
- Establish a definite date when you intend to possess the money you desire or the goal you want to have reached.
- Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
- Write out a clear, concise statement of the amount of money you intend to acquire or the goal or goals you want to achieve, name the time limit for its acquisition or achievement, state what you intend to give in return for the money, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to accumulate the money or how you want to achieve your goal.
- Read your written statement aloud, twice daily, once just before retiring at night, and once after arising in the morning. As you read – see and feel and believe yourself already in possession of the money or having achieved your goal or goals.
I used them to make something I call my desire document, a one A4 page written statement based on the result of my working the Six Steps.